Bridgend Inspiring Growth
Bridgend Inspiring Growth (BIG) is a community owned and run charitable organisation in south Edinburgh with a mission to ensure their now renovated farmhouse exists as a sustainable community-owned centre for learning, eating and exercise, where all can learn, work and grow together to develop a flourishing community and place.
BIG has been working since 2010 to develop and build their community around the project. The City of Edinburgh Council transferred the ownership of the building and land to them for £1. They also received grant funding from the Big Lottery Fund with support from Historic Environment Scotland paid for the restoration of the main farmhouse and built four new workshops. But they didn’t cover the total costs of restoring a very old building.
To help with their mission, Bridgend Farmhouse are offering people the chance to buy a “Community Share” to become part owner of Bridgend Farmhouse. Their community share issue launched on Sunday September 2nd and closes on Friday November 2nd 2018.
Their goal is to raise £50,000 which will allow them to:
- Complete all the costs of the restoration
- Be able to meet their core costs for the next year while establishing other income streams
- Run the café and training kitchen for longer hours each week
- Support two additional staff roles; a full-time admin and finance worker and a part-time janitor/care-taker
- Develop the enterprise and hub now, so they can put more of their income back in to securing the future of the project
We can help spotlight your community